Brookdale Grand Prairie | Texas

355 W. Westchester Parkway, Grand Prairie, TX, 75052

Reviews of Brookdale Grand Prairie | Texas

A Visitor3 January 27, 2016

I visited Horizon Bay Grand Prairie. It was very clean. All of the adults were active. They had a special visitor that day, and they were singing. I participated in a birthday celebration and had some cake with them. We didn’t choose this place because it was an assisted living type A facility, and my mother-in-law needed an assisted living type B facility. Nevertheless, I think it would have been a great place. I saw a couple of the rooms, and they were very clean.

Kim113502550 October 31, 2015

We didn’t’ care for Horizon Bay. There’s nothing bad about it, but it just didn’t feel nearly as warm, homey or friendly as others. It just didn’t feel as welcoming because it was coldly laid out. They were under construction when we were there, so it’s kind of hard to tell what it was really going to look like. The staff was great. I just didn’t feel it was the place. The rooms were fine, unimpressive, and I didn’t care for the common area. All the places where the residents can gather and be together were just not impressive. The dining area was very unimpressive and very small. I didn’t try the food. I did see the calendar and saw they have several things planned.

Caring9021501 September 13, 2015

Horizon Bay was clean and very attractive. It was close to where we live, and he needed more 24hr care. The staff was fine, nice, helpful, and knowledgeable. We were very impressed with it, but we just felt he needed more nursing care.

Caring95902150 December 11, 2014

I visited Horizon Bay. The staff gave us lots of information. They were very helpful. The rooms are in the right size, and they were clean. The dining room was clean, but I wasn't able to taste and see what kind of food they served. I thought as that time, someone was playing the piano or something. What impressed me was that they had a room so they would have their privacy, yet they had commons areas where they could come and interact with the other residents. I was impressed with it, and I would give it a high rating.

Linda64776550 January 30, 2014

The emloyees are fine, they're helpful. The rooms are nice and big enough. I dont know if my mom will ever adjust to living any place other than her house. They have crafts, Bible study, they have a church service on Sunday morning and they go to Walmart on Mondays. Sometimes a group will come in to entertain them.

I like the friendliness of the employees at Horizon Bay Grand Prairie but the doctor that comes to service the residents there he's not real attentive. My mother has a kidney infection and I dont talk directly to the doctor but to the nurse that they have there. I'm hoping that this situation will improve.

Caring74267050 November 22, 2013

Horizon Bay was great. I saw a 1-bedroom and a studio. Everything was good so I can't pick out anything that was better.

caring307 June 19, 2013

Horizon Bay Grand Prairie is a nice and a really good place, but it was out of my price range. The rooms and the studios were nice. It has lots of bookcases in them and I thought was really great. The people there are lovely. It was such a pretty place and it was large.

tamarawilhite February 24, 2012

My grandfather was at Horizon Bay Vibrant Retirement Living for about two years until December, 2011. Pros: Careful checks of diabetes blood sugar levels by a medical assistant. Bus to take people to nearby grocery store along with small kitchenettes (sink, microwave) in private rooms Respectful staff that assisted those with impaired vision without treating them as helpless or blind Closely supervised and immediate medical follow up for any medical emergency, such as heart attack They encourage patients to move instead of doing everything for them. As my grandfather's heart attack, they encouraged him to scoot in the wheel chair using his feet and to get up with his walker once the therapist said he could. In the long run, this encourages recovery over ease of care. Food is good, though not top notch. Staff is very friendly, knowing most residents by name within a short period of arriving. The facility includes a "library" with large print books and several living areas. This creates a comfortable environment for family members to meet, instead of all piling into a private room. The large porch indoors allows residents and family members to sit by large windows on rocking chairs without being out in the heat, as well as letting those with dementia have the sensation of rocking on the porch without the risk of wandering off. There are additional chairs outside for those who wish to be outside and can comprehend the controls. Cons: They have a nice, albeit small, exercise room. Unfortunately, in the times I walked past it, it appeared to have never been used. Several thousand dollars a month for a small one bedroom apartment for a single resident.

commercesd January 24, 2012

We went to visit the Horizon Bay - Grand Prairie assisted living facility, as a possible place for our aunt to live. We had been in nearby Arlington, so it was easy to get there from I-20.

We could see that the outside was very nicely designed with lots of nice places for the seniors to enjoy "“ with many benches and walking paths. This is a lovely community that resembled any nicely tended condo facility with lots of privacy and safety.

The communal areas were all designed for the seniors to get around easily "“ with lovely furniture and fresh decor. They could be seen enjoying socializing, reading, watching TV, creating snacks and using the computer. They also have card tournaments which includes people around the community.

The private living spaces have individualized decors, so that the seniors feel comforted in their surrounding and can identify easily with them.

The casual dining rooms had a variety of nice furniture "“ all designed for easy access by the seniors. The formal dining room looked like a great place to host parties and other special events "“ and it also doubles as a library. Residents may invite family and friends to these events and at any time they wish.

The foods on the menu had a nice variety of healthy foods offered. The foods we saw looked and smelled really appetizing. They also provide a variety of nutritious snacks throughout the day and early evening, which seniors may enjoy at any time.

Residents are encouraged to enjoy physical activities daily. The fitness room offers aerobics and yoga classes and training equipment. Many of the residents enjoy taking exercise on the beautifully landscaped grounds where they can go for walks safely.

The residents get to enjoy a variety of fun and stimulating visits to nearby cities where there are many local cultural activities in the art centers, at music venues and in stores. They also get to experience a number of casual and fine and casual dining restaurants.

The residents all looked very well cared for and seemed quite content living within this environment "“ where they had plenty of freedom, in a safe and sensible place.

From Brookdale Grand Prairie

Brookdale Grand Prairie provides assisted living residents with lifestyles, housing, and services in comfortable surroundings combined with exceptional amenities, programs, and care. Through Brookdale's signature Personalized Assisted Living, we customize our care offerings for the individual. This allows each resident at our community the freedom and opportunity to make choices that will ease their lifestyle transitions. Residents enjoy life with the support they need, coupled with the appropriate accommodations as their needs change.

Features of Brookdale Grand Prairie

• We offer respite care (short term stays)

• State License(s): 030313