(800) 973-1540

As a veteran's widow, what home health care benefit is Mom eligible for?

2 answers | Last updated: May 16, 2013
but2sing asked...
My mother is the wife of a 100% veteran. She is now ill and needs home health care. She only has Medicare and they say she is not eligible for more than four hours of aide and not for long. Can you tell me if she is eligible for benefits from the Veterans Administration and how we can get them? I work full-time and don't really have the time to go down there. Mom had a silent heart attack and a mild stroke followed. She is now home and I need to know what help she can get.

Answers
Caring.com User - Rita Files
Rita Files, LPN, VSR, a nationally recognized expert on the elderly, has more than 30 years of experience in the health care industry, with...

As the widow of an eligible service connected veteran, Mom may be eligible to receive VA Death Pension Benefitsto help supplement the cost of in home health care services. See also:
Hiring a Caregiver for In-Home Help

See all 176 questions about Financial Assistance for Seniors
Since there are a number of [criteria that may affect eligibility] (http://www.vba.va.gov/bln/21/pension/spousepen.htm) for this pension benefit, visit the supplement the cost of in home health care services. Since there are a number of [criteria that may affect eligibility] (http://www.vba.va.gov/bln/21/pension/spousepen.htm) for this pension benefit, visit the VA web site to view the eligibility requirements.

If after reviewing the eligibility requirements you are still unsure if Mom meets all the criteria, you can visit AWG Veteran Services for a free pre-qualification analysis of eligibility. This, as well as the actual filing for the benefits, can be done without taking the time out of your schedule to visit a VA office.

valp1253 answered...

there is a reimbursement pension available to her. The VA requires along with the application, other documentation to make it complete. If she is currently paying for any type of assistance for her daily living activities, I'm sure she can qualify. I would love to help. e-mail me if you would like to talk further.