Assisted Living in Albert Lea
Oak Park Place at Albert Lea1615 Bridge Ave., Albert Lea, MN
Thorne Crest Senior Living Community1201 Garfield Avenue, Albert Lea, MN
Knutson Place Apartments801 LUTHER PLACE, Albert Lea, MN
Albert Lea Housing & Redevelop Authority800 FOURTH AVENUE SOUTH, Albert Lea, MN
Brians Elder Care1201 SOUTHVIEW LANE, Albert Lea, MN
Broadway Assisted Living512 S Broadway Ave, Albert Lea, MN
Good Samaritan Society - Albert Lea75507 240th St, Albert Lea, MN
At A Glance
There are 7 assisted living communities in the city and surrounding suburbs to choose from. The average cost of assisted living in Albert Lea is $3,505 per month, according to the latest estimates from Genworth.
We're there at every step
Caring.com has been supporting families since 2007. Our free family advisor service has helped numerous families in the Albert Lea area find the assisted living community that is right for them. Learn about how our team of family advisors can help you and your family at no cost by calling (855) 763-5743.
Get the insights you need to find the right community.
- See more than 1 reviews of assisted living communities in the Albert Lea area from residents and their loved ones.
- Browse our comprehensive directory of 7 assisted living communities in the Albert Lea area for photos and information about amenities, costs and more.
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Albert Lea
Just 90 miles from the Twin Cities, Albert Lea, Minnesota, supports a population of about 18,000, and about one out of every five residents is a senior. To serve this burgeoning senior population, there are 18 assisted living facilities (ALFs), seven within the city, and the rest in nearby communities, such as Ellendale, Austin, New Richland and Wells. Seniors can receive help with housekeeping and laundry, daily tasks and medication administration. The Minnesota Department of Health regulates ALFs in Alberta Lee, and in all cities in Minnesota.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Albert Lea
- Albert Lea provides a Sperling Comfort Index of 23 out of 100 (the national average is 54) and receives 37 inches of snow per year. Some seniors might find the cold temperatures and winter precipitation too challenging.
- Albert Lea is decent when it comes to air quality. With 100 being best, the city ranks higher than the national average (58) at 67, according to the EPA’s National Air Toxics Assessment. This might help some seniors who have respiratory concerns achieve better health.
Cost of living in the Albert Lea, Minnesota ranks just 80.5 compared to the U.S. average of 100. The city thus might be a good choice for seniors who have fixed incomes.
- Seniors who choose an assisted living community in Albert Lea, Minnesota can take advantage of transportation from Southern Minnesota Area Rural Transit (SMART). While SMART doesn’t have programs specifically targeted for seniors, it does offer a free veteran service and demand response (call to schedule ride).
- Albert Lea does well when it comes to crime. Violent crime ranks 14.7 out of 100, whereas property crime is 35.8. Comparatively, the national averages are 31.1 and 38.1. Seniors and their loved ones thus can feel good about their physical safety, although they still should check what precautions their assisted living community offers.
- Albert Lea is home to world-class medical facilities, including the Mayo Clinic Health System, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
Paying for Assisted Living in Albert Lea
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Minnesota
Assisted Living costs in Albert Lea start around $3,505 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Albert Lea and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Albert Lea
Seniors who need financial help with their assisted living services have multiple options. For example, state residents might qualify for the Elderly Waiver or the Minnesota Group Residential Housing Program.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Minnesota page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Minnesota page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Albert Lea
Albert Lea and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Albert Lea
Albert Lea-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Minnesota are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Minnesota page for more information about these laws.