3 Assisted Living Facilities near Guthrie Center, IA
Also serving communities of Panora, Stuart, Greenfield.
There are 3 Assisted Living Facilities in the Guthrie Center area, with 2 in Guthrie Center and 1 nearby.
To help you with your search, browse the 3 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Guthrie Center. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Guthrie Center 4.0 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Perry with an average rating of 5.0 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Guthrie Center, call (855) 863-8283.
2 Assisted Living Facilities in Guthrie Center, IA
1 Assisted Living Facility near Guthrie Center, IA
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Guthrie Center
Guthrie Center is in south-central Iowa and is home to the Mary J. Barnett Memorial Library, where seniors can access programs and services like computer classes. This small city has a little less than 1,600 residents, over 20% of whom are age 65 and over.
There are two assisted living facilities in Guthrie Center and one more in the nearby city of Panora for seniors to choose from. In this city, as in the rest of Iowa, assisted living facilities may also be called assisted living programs or residential care facilities, and they are licensed by the Department of Inspections and Appeals, Health Facilities Division.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Guthrie Center
- Guthrie Center's summers are warm with highs in the mid-80s, and winters are cold with lows around 10 degrees. The city gets 26 inches of annual snowfall, which is on par with the national average and may be good for seniors who use mobility aids.
- The Guthrie Center area is home to world-class medical facilities, including Guthrie County Hospital, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- Public transit in Guthrie Center is provided courtesy of Western Iowa Transit. While this service is available to all city residents, it is particularly suited for local seniors, and it works closely with local care facilities, adult day health care facilities and group homes.
- Guthrie Center seniors do not pay state income tax on their Social Security income, and there is a deduction available for other types of retirement income. This may affect how much money can be put toward assisted living expenses in this city.
- Guthrie Center is an affordable place to live, with an overall cost of living that is about 15% below the national average and 5% below the statewide average. The region's relatively low living costs may result in more affordable assisted living room and board and services. Healthcare is expensive here, however, coming in at nearly 25% above the national median. This may be a concern for seniors with chronic health conditions.
- The overall crime rate in Guthrie Center is relatively low, which may make it an attractive option for seniors who enjoy being out in the community alone. On a 100-point scale, the city's violent crime rate is 16.8, versus the national average of 22.7, and the property crime rate is 19.8, compared to the national average of 35.4.
Note: Data reported on this page was updated in 2019 and based on the latest 2018 figures.
Paying for Assisted Living in Guthrie Center
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Iowa
Assisted Living costs in Guthrie Center start around $0 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Guthrie Center and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Guthrie Center
Guthrie Center seniors may receive financial assistance for assisted living through Iowa's Medicaid 1915(c) Elderly waiver program.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Iowa page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Iowa page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Guthrie Center
Guthrie Center and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Guthrie Center, please visit our Assisted Living in Iowa page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Guthrie Center
Guthrie Center-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Iowa are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Iowa page for more information about these laws.
Other Options in Guthrie Center, IA
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Guthrie Center
Review of The New Homestead
The New Homestead facility is nice. I would say the staff is fine. My mother-in-law’s comments about the food have been very good. Read more
Review of The New Homestead
This past weekend my mother-in-law visited us. On our weekend schedule were a number of visits to area assisted living facilities as she has stated an interest in moving closer to us, but is in ne... Read more