What can I get for my husband to drink , when nothing stays down?

1 answer | Last updated: Jun 22, 2010
Southernwind07 asked...

What can I find for my husband to drink? Nothing stays down for him.

This is a tough question. To really answer accurately, I'd need you to clarify what you mean by "nothing stays down for him," and more background on your husband.  Are you saying he throws everything up; food and liquids? If this is the case there are numerous possible explanations. Is he receiving chemotherapy? Extreme constipation can sometimes cause regurgitation or spitting up. Or it could be a side effect from a medication he's taking. Does he have any other signs of illness, such as a fever or pain? If so, he may be acutely ill and need to see a primary care provider immediately. If the issue is simply that he can't swallow liquids, he may need a "swallowing assessment"  to narrow down what's going on. His primary care provider can order this. In fact, you should talk to his doctor anyway to ask for advice. Not being able to swallow can also be a sign of a neurological problem, such as a stroke. Get medical advice, so you aren't facing this situation alone.