What are weight loss guidelines for MS patients?

Metoday asked...

What execises/diet guidelines can assit with weight loss while managing fatigue and a heavy right arm/leg? I am 50 years old, in good health and not overweight...just want to tighten up and drop about 5lbs. I am 5"3" and 125lbs, but not firm/in shape. HELP!

If your health care provider has given you the OK to start exercising, I would recommend starting a walking program 2 to 3 times a week. Although you are not overweight, the walking would be good for your overall cardiovascular health. You could start with short, 5- 10 minute walks, gradually increasing your time as you get more fit and if your right leg tolerates it.

Weight lifting will increase your muscle and bone strength, which is great for women as we age. For toning, start with some light weight lifting (1 lb dumbells to start) 2 to 3 times a week. Since you have very little experience with weight lifting exercise, you should get an exercise DVD or book to teach you some exercises. Most of these are available for free from your local library. You could even look for a chair exercise program on your local PBS station. Start very slowly, especially on your weaker side.

The more regular exercise you do, the stronger you will become. Good luck!