What are some tips for relieving dry eyes?

My 53 year old wife has extremely dry eyes. She has had the plugs put in each eye and numerous prescription as well as over the counter medicines but has had little relief. Is there anything else out there to help her?

Lylas Mogk, M.D. is an ophthalmologist and director of the Henry Ford Visual Rehabilitation and Research Center in Grosse Pointe and Livonia, Michigan, and the author of Macular Degeneration: The Complete Guide to Saving and Maximizing Your Sight.

The other things your wife might do to help alleviate dry eyes are take an omega-3 fatty acid (fish oil) capsule, put a hot wet compress over her closed eyes for 15 minutes four times a day, install a humidifier on your furnace and/or a portable humidifier in your most used room in the house and avoid either heat or air conditioning blowing on her face, e.g. in a car.

Common Vision Problems and What to Do: Dry Eye

Leesburg answered...

I have extreme dry eyes caused by graph verses host disease after a bone marrow transplant following leukemia. I had tear ducts closed. I have used Restasis prescribed, by doctor. And, the best help comes from "Tears Natural" or "Bion Tears" made by Alcon Labs. They are over the counter at the drug store. They have no preservatives and come in single vials so you can use them all day as much as you need. I highly recommend. Buy one box of 70 vials for about $10 to $15.