Is there a standard post-stroke driver assessment? My dad...

2 answers | Last updated: Oct 19, 2016
A fellow caregiver asked...

Is there a standard post-stroke driver assessment? My dad wants to go back to driving, but I think it's too soon after his stroke. He's just now able to get around his house on his own, but I worry his reaction-time is slow. Is there some sort of post-stroke driving assessment test out there? Or is there something in particular I could see if he could do and then know if it's safe for him to drive again?

Expert Answers

Elizabeth Dugan, a Fellow of the Gerontology Institute, University of Massachusetts Boston, is the author of Driving Dilemma: The Complete Resource Guide for Older Drivers and Their Families.

Yes. His best bet is to be evaluated by a certified driving rehabilitation specialist -- check the American Occupational Therapy Association website (; then click on the older driver section) to find a specialist nearby. A post-stroke driver assessment is essential to make sure he is fit to resume driving. Good luck!

Community Answers

Momof2gamb answered...

Hi I had the same issues with my dad. He needed to notify the registry and a specialist came out to give him a road test. I even think he had to have a note from his doctor that said he could be evaluated. To resume driving. I was nervous about it. I didn't want him to but he was so excited to get him independence back. Good luck.