What are the signs of the end stage of life?

1 answer | Last updated: Dec 22, 2011

How do you recognize the end stage of a loved one's dying? What are the symptoms?

Hospice nurse answered...

Depending on the disease you're dealing with, end of life symptoms can vary, your physician should be your first source of information about your particular situation. 

I would love to help you with more information here however, without knowing your specific circumstances, I may only overwhelm you with information you don't need.

There is a fabulous book that I give to all of my patient's loved-ones called "Gone From My Sight" by Barbara Karnes - you can order it online by doing an internet search.  The book is a small pamphlet that discusses the signs and symptoms of approaching death from the last months of life to the last hours.  It is a very easy read and I've only had rave reviews from those who have read it. 

You are doing the right thing by looking for answers.  Best of luck.