Can a doctor have influence reversing power of attorney over a parent?

1 answer | Last updated: Sep 14, 2017
Drjlh asked...

Can a doctor contribute to reversing power of attorney and give it to your sister, if she is saying things to a parent's doctor about you that are not the truth?

Expert Answers

Barbara Repa, a senior editor, is an attorney, a journalist specializing in aging issues, and the author of Your Rights in the Workplace (Nolo), now in its 10th edition.

What you describe is very unusual. Doctors rarely intervene in changing the authorized agent in a power of attorney; such changes usually occur only if the person for whom the document was made orders the change, or if it was clearly shown that you were “unable or unwilling” to do the job.

In any case, your sister could only be empowered to act if she had been named the alternate or successor agent in the original power of attorney document.

Legalities aside, it sounds as if you need someone to step in quickly to iron out this situation. Your best bet may be to get a third person who is objective but familiar with wading through the intricacies, pitfalls, and red tape of the medical system.

If your parent is in the hospital, contact the patient representative or ombudsperson for help. If the medical care you distrust is coming from an individual doctor, contact the office administrator as a starting point.