Where can I get help caring for my wife with dementia?

1 answer | Last updated: Oct 01, 2016
The bear asked...

My wife began to show signs of dementia about four years ago. We moved a year and a half ago to a differant home. And then the dementia showed drastic inhansment. We have had all tests run including a MRI. Our Doctor has diagnosed Alzheimer's by elemination of all the tests that were run. Where can I get in home help? I am 76 years old and my wife is 65. I have diabities and dignosed with prostate cancer a month ago. My knees are a bit bad and I have some difficulity getting around.

Expert Answers

As Founder and Director of Circles of Care, Ann Cason provides caregiving, consulting, and training services to individuals and public and private organizations involved in eldercare. She is the author of Circles of Care: How to Set Up Quality Home Care for Our Elders.

There are ways to start. Since you need caregiving assistance for dementia, you need help that is skilled in working with Alzheimer's as well as understanding the care that you need. Start with www.caremanagers.org to find a geriatric care manager in your area. A professional geriatric care manager will come to your home and help you work out a plan of care and also will help you to find available help in your area. Also Caring.com has referral sources for different local areas. Go to their section on in-home care and put in your city and state. Also, explore their secitons on working with dementia.

You do need help. You have already taken the first important step. You have asked for care which is often the hardest step. If these steps don't work, please write back.