How do I find a neurologist that specializes in geriatric patients?

1 answer | Last updated: Sep 14, 2017
Diannvolvo asked...

My mother, 85 years old, has been living with us for a little over a month now. The only doctor she sees is a cardiologist. Should I be taking her to a neurologist too? If so, how do I find one that specializes in geriatric patients?

Expert Answers

Jennifer Serafin, N.P. is a registered nurse and geriatric nurse practitioner at the Jewish Homes for the Aged in San Francisco.

Reading your letter, it is fine for your mother to see her cardiologist now and then, but she should also have a primary care practitioner who specializes in the elderly that follows her regularly. I think it is important to find a primary care person, as she needs someone who will look after all of her health concerns, not just her heart. If she has health insurance, you can usually find practitioners for her to see using their guidebooks. If she is on straight Medicare, you can use the internet or phone book to find a geriatric specialist in your area.

Regarding your question about seeing a neurologist: you do not mention if your mother has a neurological condition in your question. I would suggest that you take your mother to a neurologist only if she has a neurological problem that needs attention. Good examples of these would be strokes or Parkinson's disease. Good luck!