My husband's symptoms seem to have improved, does he really have Alzheimer's?

Cool asked...

My husband was diagnosed 7 years ago and soon had no long or short term memory, is that normal?

He still takes a walk most days by himself in our neighborhood no problems so far, He dresses himself eats normal well fairly normal pushes the food with is fingers on the fork instead of using a knife. Does not talk much can't follow a conversation dos how ever do almost anything I asked of him as long as I am there with him and tell him how or what to do.

He's taken Aricept and Namenda from the start just a week ago we started with Aricept 23 mgr.

At my support group they always wonder dose he really have Alzheimer's? We are in a resurge group third stage so he gets MRI blood test urine cardiogram and all that regularly Thanks for you help Paula

Helene Bergman, LMSW, is a certified geriatric care manager (C-ASWCM) and owner of Elder Care Alternatives, a professional geriatric care management business in New York City. She consults with nursing homes and daycare programs to develop specialized programs for Alzheimer's patients.

It is possible that your husband has a variation of Alzheimer's (for instance, Lewy Body disease) that may progress at a different pace. It is always helpful to get a full neuro-psychiatric evaluation to understand the diagnosis and the progression. Multi-infarct dementia will progress differently than Alzheimer's as will Frontal Lobe dementia. In addition, co-morbid medical diagnoses can have an effect also (i.e. does your husband have any other medical issues?). Regarding the drugs, aricept is prescribed maximum 10mg so it is unclear what your husband is taking (23 mgr?). Also, it is not clear what a 'resurge group' is. Let me know and I will answer your questions.

Cool answered...

We are in an alsheimer's study group I wanted to take my husband off Aricept sins I felt it was not dong anything anymore, but the neurolagist asked me to trey the 23 mg. that has latly come on the market. He was diagnosed by a neurologist with M.R.I. blood test any the usual test they do.I also took him to an second neurologist same result. In the study group he gets all kinds of test questions cordination test, blood test they have told me that he only very slowly has gone down. He is however having a lot of haedaechs and will have an other M.R.I. on the 19 of July. Sory for my bad spelling Thanks for any help

Cool answered...

And no he has no other problems slide colesroll level but not bad 200. for instands alergies but no mager problems and no other maitenace meds