How can get get care for my grandmother that we can afford?

1 answer | Last updated: Sep 29, 2016
Listen2god asked...

My grandmother, who has dementia, is in a nursing home at the moment. We have been trying to get medicaid approved for her, but they keep denying us for supposed missing papers. We and the lady helping us at the nursing home have double checked and we send the papers in question. The nursing home has been great to help us but we owe them for back months: around $20,000. If medicaid does not go through within the next two weeks, we will have no choice but to bring her home. The problem is that we don't have the resources to 1-pay for her medication 2-give her 24/7 care that she needs 3-(this is selfish I know but..)My mothers only saving grace has been the chance to babysit my niece. She can't do that and watch Granny. Mom is retired but I am not. I can't help that much. Please tell me their is another option. I've been told by others that there are state nursing homes that take in this kind of patient, but I've also heard about the horrible conditions in some.
We need some kind of help with medicaid or some other option we don't know about. PLEASE help!

Expert Answers

Kay Paggi, GCM, LPC, CGC, MA, is in private practice as a geriatric care manager and is on the advisory board for the Emeritus Program at Richland College. She has worked with seniors for nearly 20 years as a licensed professional counselor, certified gerontological counselor, and certified geriatric care manager.

YES, you do have a choice. It is illegal for a nursing home to throw granny under a bridge. They can transfer her to a place that can care for her but they cannot simply escort her to the door and push her out. Call the Ombudsman in your county immediately and report that you are threatened by the nursing home. Go to and search for the local Area Agency on Aging; they will be able to direct you to the Ombudsman.