My father wants to call his parents. Should I tell him they are dead?

My father was diagnosed with Alzheimer's 7 years ago & I lost both my husband & mother in 2011. I am an only child so I alone care for my dad who will soon to be 92. Other than an enlarged prostate and a hernia, he is healthy. I have him in an adult day care for 6 hours 5 days a week and he is very social & happy except during the night when he wakes me up because he hears someone calling him or someone banging on the house. Although I don't like being jarred out of a deep sleep, I don't get upset because I don't want to upset him. My biggest question is how do I answer him when he wants to "call home & talk to the folks & my brothers" all who are dead of course.

Rosar answered...

Hello, Thank you for posting your question. A resource that may be helpful is an article entitled: Validation Therapy: Other references to this situation can be found here:, and You may also want to ask this question to the members of one of our online support groups located here: I hope these resources are helpful. -Rosa

Stay Connected With