Who is responsible for continuing to make my father's insurance payments?

1 answer | Last updated: Sep 28, 2016
Kimmid asked...

My father in-law was conserved by his nursing home 2 years ago. although he had family in the area they felt were not getting paid by the state for paperwork errors on their part. My father in-law had insurance payments that were being deducted from his bank account as well as other minor bills. Who is responsible for continuing those payments? He is now deceased and my husband and I have been trying to find out who is responsible for things - even though we are making arrangements- we can't seem to get any answers from the agency that conserved/had guardianship over my dad. What do we do

Expert Answers

Barbara Steinberg is the CEO and founder of BLS Eldercare Financial Solutions, which specializes in helping families pay for long-term care for their loved ones. A registered financial gerontologist, she speaks regularly on the topic of paying for long-term care and is a financial expert for Caring.com.

Responsibilities of conservatorship and guardianship vary depending on what state your father-in-law lived in. In general, the conservator appointed by the court is responsible for using your father-in-law's income and assets to provide for his care, support and comfort, and to pay for his bills and debts. The conservator is under the supervision of the court and needs to report to the court. Since your father-in-law is deceased, there should not be any insurance bills. If he was paying for life insurance, the face value should be paid to the beneficiaries. If he was paying for health insurance, those payments stop at his death. Your husband does not have any responsibility to pay for his father's debts. If you feel that your father-in-law's affairs are not being handled appropriately, you can go to the court that appointed the conservator.