Why would my deceased mother get a check from the VA after my father's death?

My dad died May 2011 and last week i got a VA Comp check in the mail payable to my deceased mom-my mom died in February,2009-Why would the VA send her a VA Comp check? Thanx

Barbara Steinberg is the CEO and founder of BLS Eldercare Financial Solutions, which specializes in helping families pay for long-term care for their loved ones. A registered financial gerontologist, she speaks regularly on the topic of paying for long-term care and is a financial expert for Caring.com.

Your father was receiving compensation for a service connected disability. The VA knkows that your father passed away last May because they get notified by Social Security. Your father's VA records indicate that he is married. The VA has no way of knowing that your Mom predeceased your Dad. They are trying to give his benefit to her. You need to contact the VA to let them know the situation. You should try to find your county Veterans Service Officer and ask for his/her help. You can call the 800 number, but be prepared to be on hold for a long time, if you even get through.

Serbochick69 answered...

Hi and thanx for the info-however i did send the check back but i wonder if my 42 year old sister who is mild mental retardation and legally blind is entitled to recieve anything-do you think i should still call or would you know for sure? Thanx so much for all your help! l have one more question how can i get to be my sisters legal guardian-we live in pa thanx so much

Barbara steinberg answered...

Was your sister a dependent of your father? If yes, was she disabled prior to age 18? If so, she may be entitled to a benefit. Check with the VSO to find out if she can receive your father's benefit.