Are there any agencies that can help give care to my father who requires 24 hour care?

2 answers | Last updated: Sep 14, 2017
Mary berry asked...

My 85 year old father is in failing health. He has to have 24 hour care. My sister and niece are doing everything they can but they have full time jobs. I live 2 hours away and also have a full time job. Is there any agencies available and at what price? He is a veteran and I'm sure he has medicare.

Expert Answers

As Founder and Director of Circles of Care, Ann Cason provides caregiving, consulting, and training services to individuals and public and private organizations involved in eldercare. She is the author of Circles of Care: How to Set Up Quality Home Care for Our Elders.

Yes, there are agencies who will help you set up home care for your frail father. 24 hour care is very expensive, but sometimes you don't need that much help. What you need is someone who will help you set up care. I recommend a professional geriatric care manager to come to your father's home to assess for you. After assessment it will possible to find either an in-home care agency or a registry. The care manager will be able to steer you to toward the best agency for your father's needs. Allthough the care manager will not be inexpesive, it will save money. Good care is always more practical than inferior care. To find a nearby care manager go to Your father may be eligible for a veteran's pension. You may need help with the application. Here are two sites. or

Community Answers

A fellow caregiver answered...

Geriatric care managers are very expensive. You most likely can research the same information that they will provide. You can receive input from your dad's doctor...and if he hasnt been seen by the doctor in a should first start with that. also, call your local hospital and see who they would refer for home care. they might give you a list...but at least you have a starting point. then, the internet is the best place to verify info...starting with this site is a section to find home care services. a care manager is simply going to refer you to a company that he/she has a relationship with...but still may not be the best company for your dad. so, talking to several advised. Medicare will only cover limited medical care and typically not the 24 hour non-medical home care you are referring to. also, there is a VA pension program called aid & attendance that your dad may qualify for and will subsidize the home care services you are seeking.