(800) 973-1540

What health insurance options are available to someone on Social Security Disability, not yet eligible for Medicare, and whose spouse has no health coverage through her employer?

jrryjrd asked...

I am on Social Security Disability and i won't get Medicare for 25 months. My wife still works,but it's a seasonal job and she gets no benefits. She has no health coverage and we can't afford health coverage for her through a health insurance company. Do you have any suggestions?

Answers
Joseph L. Matthews answered...

Medicaid See also:
Insurance Coverage: Denied!

See all 866 questions about Social Security Benefits
may be the only health care program available to you both, until you qualify for Medicare. In order to be eligible for Medicaid, you have to have low income and few assets (other than your house and car). The exact rules regarding income vary from state to state, but if your only income is your disability check and your wife's seasonal job, you may qualify, especially if you also have regular medical bills. To find out what the rules are in your state, and to learn where to apply, go online to any search engine and enter the word Medicaid and the name of your state. Or, you can call the Eldercare Locator toll-free at 800-677-1116.

SincerelyJen answered...

If you do not qualify for medicaid, go to your local hospital's business office, and ask to apply for financial help. When my husband was going through this same situation, they were willing to let him go to any doctor under that hospital. He still had to pay for x-rays, labs, and meds, but just getting him to the doctor was a major feat. As for meds, check out GoodRx. It doesn't cost, and this program finds prescriptions at their best price nearby. For instance, I recently needed to pay for my prescription through health insurance, and yet I found it for the same price using GoodRx! (No, I promise I'm not getting paid by them. I'm sure there are similar programs; this is just the only one I'm familiar with.)