Is there in-home help that can be paid through public benefits programs?

2 answers | Last updated: Sep 19, 2016
A fellow caregiver asked...

My 90 year old mother will be released from rehab within the next 5 days! my sister that lives with her works full time, Mother is almost blind, walks with the help of a walker. Mother is becoming more depress because she wants to go home! her only income is Soc. Sec. Are there any government programs that can pay for live-in help? Or pay for an caregiver 6 days a week? Please, I need help fast. My mother lives in Altamonte Springs, FL.

Expert Answers

As Founder and Director of Circles of Care, Ann Cason provides caregiving, consulting, and training services to individuals and public and private organizations involved in eldercare. She is the author of Circles of Care: How to Set Up Quality Home Care for Our Elders.

I am sorry to hear of your mother's trouble. You need to be in touch with the local network to find if there are in-home care providers through public benefit programs. Start with the Area Agency on Aging. Perhaps your mother would be eligible for case management which would connect her to local services and programs. If no live in help is available you might consider adult day care. While your sister is at work, your mother would go to day care for serveral hours 5 days a week.

Your mother does need professional assessment. She may be able to manage in her own home wiith coordinated care for 2 or 3 hours per day. If there is no Area Agency of Aging, call the county to find public benefits for older adults. Go to the Department of Elder Affairs wesite.[]. For help finding geriatric care management go to

Community Answers

Mspegz answered...

You may also call an agency like The Council of the Blind or one similar , they may have resources available to help her in the home as well as some financial funding to help with assistance. There is also The National Alliance of Caregivers Funds available. It offers funding for families or individuals based on their needs. The amount allocated to each family, per year, is based on each county and It is not income or asset based. Be sure to ask the Area Agency on Aging for more information or Google it to see who might manage the funds in your county. The funds can be used to pay for some in home help, personal cares or perhaps items that would help her live more comfortably within the home. Do check into it, it is available to be utilized to the amount limit one time each year and January renews the start of the new funding cycle.