Are there any programs available to help my pay for my husband's Alzheimer's care?

Besssie asked...

i need financial help to get husband in alhemizer unit i am not able to let go of his total disability check because of outside expenses are there any programs available to help

Ron Kauffman is a certified senior advisor (CSA), senior lifestyle radio host, syndicated newspaper columnist, and the author of Caring for a Loved One With Alzheimer's Disease. In addition, Kauffman is also the primary caregiver for his mother, who has Alzheimer's.

I'm sorry to hear about your financial situation, and of course, the fact that your husband has Alzheimer's disease.

Your request,unfortunately, is missing a lot of necessary information and details, but what I can do is give you some general information.

My suggestion is that you contact several local agencies in your area such as Elder Affairs, Area Agency on Aging, and Alzheimer's Association.

You need to find out what's available in your area that might offer you some respite, daycare assistance and financial help if your husband requires placement in an Alzheimer's specific facility.

It may turn out that he qualifies for Medicaid, and under their guidelines, it's possible that you may not have to forfeit his pension. The problem is there are so many different rules and guidelines that without knowing the specifics of your financial situation and the Medicaid rules of your State, only a local expert who has access to all of your information and the local rules can really address your needs.

If you have the financial capability, you might contact a local elder law attorney. He or she will absolutely be able to guide you through the maze of forms and applications if you qualify. Sometimes there are non-lawyer specialists who also help people work through the process of Medicaid applications. Your local nonprofits should be able to give you some guidance there.

Your situation points out the need to get out in front of these types of problems by taking steps early in the course of this and other diseases to plan a strategy for future care and finances. It's always more difficult to have to face a problem without having a plan, and often, timing is such that your options are more limited.

Again, not knowing the details of your financial situation, it's not possible to give you the precise answer you requested. However, please don't wait to take the steps I've suggested and make several calls to your local resources. One or more of those calls may lead to contacts that can provide you with an excellent resolution to your problems.

Best of luck in your search.

Besssie answered...

MY HUSBAND HAS MEDICAID AND MEDICAID WAIVER PROGRAM AND YET FOR SOME REASON I AM HAVEING A HARD TIME PLACING HIM HERE IN FLORIDA I AM FULLL TIME WORKER AT THIS TIME THANKS FOR THE SUGGESTIONS

Ron kauffman answered...

Bessie:

I agree with you, something isn't adding up here. If your husband has met all the qualifications for Medicaid & Waiver, some action should have occurred to resolve your situation.

You need to contact the Medicaid office and demand a clear explanation of what is going on and WHY. There are lots of rules and regulations and if you happen to be out of compliance with one of them, things can get all messed up for a long time.

I stand by my suggestion to you to get someone in the community to help you advocate for your husband. Make the phone calls to the agencies I listed, and perhaps a call to an elder law attorney. If your husband has met all the requirements for placement, or to be situated under the Waiver program but nothing has yet been done, you need to know what is holding things up.

Keep calling them. Have all your paperwork and supporting information on hand to verify your position. Unless there's something else you or they haven't mentioned, this should be a problem that can be resolved.