How can I help my client understand her heart monitor?

I have a 70 year old client who has recently been put on a heart monitor. She has become very frustrated because she does not know how to properly use the device. What questions can I ask her to help understand her frustration.

I believe the device you are talking about is an Event Monitor, which is worn by someone who may have some type of heart beat abnormality. The device has a button that you are supposed to push when you feel palpitations, dizziness, faint, or chest pain, and it will record the EKG of the heart. This way, the cardiologist will be able to see what the heart is doing when someone complains of palpitations.

What you could do is try to get your client to call her cardiologist office to see if they can mail her (you) instructions on how to use the device and how to put it on. This way, you can help her use this device effectively so that they can find out her heart problem. Good luck!