How can I find agencies or companies that provide in-home care in my area?

Finding in-home caregivers is a major concern for so many people caring for elderly loved ones. It does take effort, but is well worth it when you get the care you need.

There are several ways you can find in-home help, someone to do housework, chores, or nursing care. First you can try a home health care agency; these are basically job placement services that specialize in providing in-home help for people who are ill or disabled, including seniors. Agencies will match a worker to your situation and usually handle most of the paperwork and supervision.

The second way is to hire someone independently, where you interview candidates, and handle the paperwork and supervision. Both ways can work well. Hiring through an agency almost always costs more than hiring independently.

To find agencies, check on-line or in the telephone directory under "home health care" or "visiting nurses." To find independent workers, ask local senior centers, churches or senior organizations for referrals. Also check local classified ads in a newspaper or on-line. An excellent resource for finding both kinds of caregiver is the Eldercare Locator run by your parents' local Area Agency on Aging. This is a handy on-line tool that links you to local senior services, including in-home care agencies.

Here are some tips for interviewing agencies, once you've narrowed down a list.

Billf answered...

I have to agree with a lot of what Kate had to say above. But I would go with an agency because they offer background checks and caregiver certifications. There are several large and reliable national agencies that provide in-home care.

I work on a blog for a large in-home care provider and they have more than 175 locations. You can check to find one in your area here.

Check out our Senior Home Care blog for more information on choosing the best in-home care solutions for your loved ones.

Tx elder care answered...

Home care, also called in-home care and personal assistant services, makes it possible for seniors to remain in their home longer. Services can include personal care, such as help with bathing, washing your hair or getting dressed - homemaking services including laundry, cooking or delivering meals,errands and grocery shopping, respite or relief for family, transportation to the doctors, etc., medication reminders, activities, companionship and more.

Find senior home care services in TEXAS visit Elder Options of Texas:

David martinez answered...

That is true about in-home care. I am a Caregiver and whenever you become certified you have to have a background check of a criminal record if so having one you cannot work with us. If you do not have one you can work with us and we only hire the best.

Thank you, David Martinez, Caregiver

Caring community answered...

Thanks for your question. Here at, we have a great way for you to find in-home care resources in your own community. Please visit our In-Home Care Directory to search by zip code.

Hope that helps.

Greg hartwell answered...

Each state has different licensing requirements for home care agencies so its important that you understand some general things about how it works in your state.

In the Bay Area of Northern California there are 3 primary ways to hire caregivers:

• Privately
  • A Domestic Referral Agency
  • A Full Service Agency

I've created a complimentary 14-page guide that you can download for free if you want some guidance for California residents called the The 7 Key Things You Need to Know Before Hiring In-Home Care in California []

Greg Hartwell Founder - Homecare California