Will I have to update my power of attorney after I move my father to Florida?

1 answer | Last updated: Oct 03, 2016
A fellow caregiver asked...

Hello, I was just recently appointed legal guardian and power of attorney for my father in North Carolina. I live in Florida and brought him here to live with me. Do I need to get a separate documentation for Florida as well. The courts were fully aware of me bringing him here. The lawyer said I might have to. If so, would that just be done by a clerk of the court with my copy here and would it be an easy process? Thanks

Expert Answers

Barbara Repa, a Caring.com senior editor, is an attorney, a journalist specializing in aging issues, and the author of Your Rights in the Workplace (Nolo), now in its 10th edition.

Since you are already serving as your father's conservator, you've done the hard part of qualifying and being appointed as the responsible party. But courts generally require that there be some local legal supervision for a guardianship if needed, so you will need to inform Florida authorities that you are on the job, which should be a relatively easy process.

The exact procedure you need to follow differs somewhat with each local court; some require that you fill out a form or two, some demand a brief personal appearance so the judge can eyeball you, and in some places, you need only make a phone call or complete an online survey.

For help and direction, contact the nearest probate or superior court. A representative there should be able to give you step-by-step instructions.