My mother isn't getting the care she needs, is there an agency I can contact?

1 answer | Last updated: Oct 07, 2016
A fellow caregiver asked...

My 90 year-old mother was just released from a nursing and rehab facility where she was recovering from a fall. My 98 year-old step dad is unwilling to pay for the 24 hour care she needs and is taking unnecessary risks with her meds and getting her out of bed without her caregiver present. Is there a governmental agency I can contact for assistance?

Expert Answers

Mary Koffend is the president of Accountable Aging Care Management (AACM), an eldercare consulting and care management firm that works with elder clients and their families to find the best care providers and services to meet their needs.

Most in home care conflicts result from misunderstandings of what is wanted and what is needed. When a person is concerned about the conflicts because they feel that there is the intentional withholding of essential care or service, contacting Adult Protective Services is appropriate. The Adult Protective Services (APS) Program was established to investigate reports and provide intervention and protection to vulnerable adults who are victims of abuse, neglect, or exploitation.

There is an excellent article on the website titled "What to Do When You Suspect Elder Abuse." It explains the program and provides contact information by state. Hopefully this information will assist you.