What is fluid in the abdomen associated with bladder cancer called?

1 answer | Last updated: Sep 14, 2017
Bowlerick asked...

My father died of metastatic bladder cancer last year. In the whole process, he developed an enormous amount of fluid in his abdomen, which was removed once. Does that fluid have a name? I thought the oncologist told me it did and someone else who has a family member with the same problem is asking me. Thank you for addressing my question.

Expert Answers

Linda Ackerman, R.N. has clinical experience in oncology, women's health, and medical nursing. She has been practicing for more than 20 years and is a licensed registered nurse in both Florida and Wisconsin. In addition, she serves as a board member of Breast Cancer Recovery and the Wisconsin Cancer Council.

I am sorry for the loss of your father.

The fluid you are describing is called ascites.

A medical definition of ascites is an abnormal and or excess amount of fluid in the abdominal cavity