Could I have shingles?

Lauriepassere asked...

Today is thur, last sat, 5 days ago, I experienced a pain I have never had before and I'm hoping it isn't going to be shingles. I had been moving all week and I was very sore all over, especially my back. In the morning when I woke up, as I was getting up from the toilet and pulling up my pajamas pants, I experienced a severe pain I believe where it would be considered my right hip. It was a band of about 8 inched wife and 3-4 inches high where it was a burning, sharp, prickly pain.. It was severely painful and at a skin level. It lasted only about 15 seconds and went away. I have not experienced anything since. No pain, rash, itching, etc. I saw my back dr for my monthly visit on tue and asked if it would be because of my back problems, I have 6 disks in my lower back that are bulging, torn, herniated, etc. He said no, that it sounded like shingles to him. It would surprise me as I am 50 years old and have been stressed for years, last week more than most times. But, I've had no issues since sat. Should I still be worried about shingles? Could it come and go for awhile??

The "burning, sharp, prickly" pain you are experiencing is similar to shingles because it is [pain from the nerves in your back, just like shingles. However, shingles is accompanied by a angry red rash with blisters, and the pain doesn't come and go. Since you had one single jolt of severe pain, and you have no rash, my opinion is that this pain is from the back problems you have. Slipped/herniated discs can compress the nerves coming from your spine, causing this type of pain. I would recommend to see a spinal specialist if this continues to happen. I would also recommend that you take it easy with lifting, as this can make your back injuries worse.

Cretemaiden1 answered...

IN JUNE 2014 I BROKE OUT WITH A RASH AND HAD IT FOR OVER THREE AND A HALF MONTHS. I WAS FORCED TO RETIRE AS THEY WOULD NOT GIVE ME AN LOA. I WAS SO MISERABLE FOR WEEKS . I WAS PLANNING ON GETTING THE SHOT A DAY BEFORE, BUT PHARMACY WAS OUT OF VACCINE. I HAVE SINCE BEEN TRYING TO GET THE VACCINE BUT NO ONE CARRIES IT HERE, BECAUSE OF THE COST AND SHORT TERM LIFE OF THE PRODUCT. I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO. I DO NOT WANT SHINGLES AGAIN.

Stay Connected With Caring.com