A friend tells me I am emotional over having ovarian cancer. How can you not be emotional facing recurrances or dying?

A friend tells me i am emotional over having ovarian cancer. How can you not be emotional facing recurrances or dying?

Senior Editor Melanie Haiken, who is responsible for Caring.com's coverage of cancer, general health, and family finance, discovered how important it is to provide accurate, targeted, usable health information to people facing difficult decisions.

You're not alone; it's natural to become extremely emotional while battling any type of cancer. Some people refer to it as a "roller-coaster ride" because there is so much bad news/good news/bad news.

Unfortunately, often friends and family members who haven't experienced cancer themselves have trouble understanding what cancer patients are going through. For this reason, many cancer patients find it extremely helpful to join a support group. Call the cancer treatment center or hospital where you are being treated and ask for a referral to a support group; they almost certainly have one. The members of a support group will "get it" and give you permission to cry, laugh, and express your fears with more openness than you may find among your non-cancer friends.

It's also possible that your friend is so worried and fearful herself that she wants you to be strong for her. If this is the case, you may need to talk to her about her role in your treatment and how she can be supportive.

Marahajah answered...

To the lady whose friend said she was being emotional due to having ovarian cancer! That lady my dear is not your friend. Friends are people who try and understand and are kind supportive and want to help you. I hope you surround yourself with loving genuine beings who can help you relax and are there for you whether you are emotional about it or not.