Various chemos have failed. What do we do now?

My dad has non-small cell lung cancer which has spread. He tried many chemos but none worked. Doctors have given up hope but he is still physically strong. What can or should we do now? Please suggest and advice.

Linda Ackerman, R.N. has clinical experience in oncology, women's health, and medical nursing. She has been practicing for more than 20 years and is a licensed registered nurse in both Florida and Wisconsin. In addition, she serves as a board member of Breast Cancer Recovery and the Wisconsin Cancer Council.

Thank you for the question, the situation you are describing must be difficult for you and your dad. I am happy to hear that he is maintaining his physical strength at this time.

I would recommend asking your dad what he would like to do next. Based on his wishes the two of you could plan next steps.

I can list a variety of suggestions and ideas that the two of you could discuss together.

"¢ Did the physicians that gave up hope, offer any other suggestions related to his quality of life?

"¢ Does your dad want to pursue more treatment? If yes, your dad could seek out a second opinion, and/or look into the possibility of enrolling in a clinical trial.

"¢ Would your dad want to look into some of the services provided by a palliative care or hospice program? These services could help both of you, by offering information and support, related to both physical and emotional needs regarding any further spreading of your dads cancer.

It sounds as though you have your dad's best interest in mind; I think having an open honest discussion about his wishes is the best way to begin to plan next steps during this difficult time.

I would like to contact this person privately. Please have her or him contact me at If there's some way to contact this person and relay this message, please do. It could mean life or death for her father. Aloha, From Hawaii, Donna Akana

Waseqk answered...

Hi Linda, Thank you so much for your answer to my question. He would still like to continue his treatment. Therefore, what kind of clinical trials are available? These are the Chemo's my dad took: 1. Cisplatin and Navelbine 2. Alimta 3. Tarceva 4. Taxotere Is there any other chemotherapy that he can try? Please advise.

Skydogbuddha123 answered...

We cannot overlook or underestimate the importance of the mind and spirit to combat cancer. I suggest the Buddhist practice of chanting Nam Myo Ho Renge Kyo, it works to clarify the mind and raise one's life condition. The positive energy resonating from your own voice/spirit is the healing energy of the Universe itself. As a multiple myeloma patient, Nam Myo Ho Renge Kyo has allowed me to visualize what is happening inside of my bone marrow and the cells themselves. Also chanting gives me peace of mind and a greater appreciation of life. Each moment of life is a treasure of infinite value.

Cwscheck answered...

I suggest you contact Dr. Bernardo in Chula Vista California (6195917094). He has non-chemo protocols which I am planning to use soon. It is best that he explains the protocols to you. Further, currently I plan to use his protocols in tandem with my ongoing chemo for myeloma (bone cancer). He may recommend that you avoid chemo if you adopt his protocols since chemo did not work for you. He has been successful and has cured such things as brain cancer.