What could breast lumps be?

I have a very good friend show me her breast the other day and she has lumps that were low, under her breast and as hard as rocks. They move on her and are flat and round, as big as a quarter and a dime. Last week they were up on her breast, close to her chest and now they moved down. She's got an appointment to get an exam next week. What could these lumps be?

I am glad to hear that your friend has scheduled a visit to get theses lumps checked.  Since you do not mention her age, or if the lumps are painful or not, it is difficult for me to tell what they are from your question.  If they are painful or tender, an abcess or mastitis is more likely.    They could be cysts, fibromas, or lipomas if they are not painful.  The good news is that because they are "moving", it is not likely that they are breast cancers.  However, a more thorough screening and examination by the doctor should help her find out exactly what these lumps are. 

Momsma answered...

I am a 2 time breast cancer survivor.  It has been my experience that in any kind of cancer , there are no rules. Usually if they roll. it can be a good sign,however, ANY lump should be checked by an oncologist.  And another thing to be aware of is : do get a second opinion, breast biopsies can read negative (needle biopsy).  Mine did, & the only way they knew for sure was by doing a surgical biopsy.  I am not trying to frighten anyone out of their minds, but rather provide information that may save your life.  deb Lyon