Are there permanent ill effects from taking a person with dementia on a trip?

Mom o'boys asked...

My son is getting married in NY later this summer. He very much would like to have his grandmother, who lives in TN, attend. Although she has mild dementia, she is in good health, and wants to attend the wedding. She would be driven to NY by a family member, as she is too mixed up to fly by herself. However, her caregivers say that every time Grandma takes a trip or vacation, she returns to the retirement home in a more mixed-up state, and doesn't ever regain the ground she has lost. I see that she is declining somewhat, but isn't that the nature of the disease? Is any decline caused or accelerated by the traveling? If there is any decline from traveling, is it permanent, or can she regain that loss? Are there occasions worth the possible decline so the patient can attend a function? If so, who makes the decision whether she can travel or not? And finally, when do you stop taking what the person wants to do into consideration?

Kluckyone answered...

I have been diagnoised with dementia stage 1 & placed into an assistant living place with staff (minor memory)difficulties. I think if she wrote down-before she left-the stuff that she might forget,or any of the things she might have difficulties with when she gets back.Talk with her staff as to what difficulties she has.

Joebush answered...

We went to buffalo new York 2 years back, my daughter can along to help with my precious lady, we left from Denver flew to Baltimore, and changed planes there....while waiting, just before we were to board, my precious lady said...I don't want to go on....granted, we talked her into it....that's a long story..... but coming back, we had to change planes in Tampa Florida, my precious lady didn't want to get off the plane, and we only had 25 minutes to our other flight...we made it....but we will never fly again, and I suppose any trip of length is out of the picture.... it is hard to travel, but I found out at the check places, if I handed the TSA agents a card I had made up, that said the person I am traveling with has a memory problem, please have patience, and I have to keep her in my eye sight, because I was in a wheel chair, and they would separate us, the card worked wonders, even had one agent start crying and said his mother has alz

Stay Connected With Caring.com