Brookdale Sunwest Independent Living

1001 N Lyon Avenue, Hemet, CA, 92545

Reviews of Brookdale Sunwest | Independent Living

March 21, 2015

By Doin'mybest

I lived at Sunwest Village for 18 months. During that time it was owned by Merrill Gardens, then Emeritus and now by Brookdale (the corporation that took over Emeritus.) In my experience, it did not matter who owned and operated it, as the behavior and attitudes of the long-time staff continued on the same regardless. As a result, Sunwest is the WORST place I have ever lived in my life. Rather than treating the residents as valued and respected elders who deserve excellent service, many of the staff act as if the residents are their parents or grandparents who are supposed to take care of them. Many of the staff chronically complain to residents about how overworked they are, and use that as an excuse for not doing their jobs. It is necessary to fight for every service that is supposed to be included in the monthly fee. For example, the "Villa" I moved into was infested with black widow and other types of spiders. My first week there I killed 27 black widows just in the garage! Although the spider infestation presented an obvious health hazard, I had a constant battle with staff to get our place exterminated, a service that is supposed to be provided. Getting assistance from Maintenance was also an ongoing fight, and the quality of the service was hardly worth fighting for. The Maintenance staff flooded half my "Villa" while fixing a simple leak in the toilet, because they had incorrectly turned off the water at the outside main valve! While the buildings look nice, they are old and have not been renovated since being built in the '70s so they need a lot of maintenance, but good luck getting it when you need it. The Landscaping service would mow the lawns on a regular basis but would ignore the weeds growing in the yard. I decided to let them grow just to see how bad it would get and I had weeds that were over 3 feet tall before they cut them down! After Housekeeping would come and do the "light cleaning" (my neighbor called it "a spit and a promise") I would take a wet paper towel and wipe it across the newly mopped floor and the paper towel would be filthy. While I can only write about my own experiences, other residents told me they had the same problems or worse. One thing almost all the residents appeared to agree on is that the food is terrible! It is almost all processed, in very small portions, limited variety, tastes bad and appears to be bad for you. The person I live with was having chronic extreme gas and horrible diarrhea and the doctors could not figure out why. The day he left Sunwest the problem stopped and he hasn't had a single episode since. The best advice I can give anyone about Sunwest Village is "stay away!"

December 05, 2014

I liked Emeritus better than the other one I visited for the simple fact of the way they do their meals. The girl that took us around was very friendly. I liked the idea too that they had studio, one-bedroom, two-bedroom, and houses that were separate with car garages. The food was excellent. We really enjoyed that one.

April 24, 2013

By Alice5

I really liked Sunwest Village. I went there for a visit. I lived at Hemet in the past, so I was familiar with the area and comfortable with it. It was a beautiful facility. It was affordable and they gave me a reduction on the rent which was very helpful. I did not try the food but my friend who stayed there said they had good meals. There was a card room, tv room and library with computers. There were free bus trips if you want to watch movies or shop or anything you wanted to do. I saw a one bedroom apartment which had a little kitchen and a covered patio. I would suggest though for the apartments to be remodeled to have a modern look.

June 14, 2012

By Caring 4232

Primarily, the price was the deciding factor why we chose this facility. Secondly, place is nice and their meal program is really good. The staff is dedicated to what they do. I noticed that the residents seem happy and even chatted with some of them. The services and their amenities are all that we need and I think this facility is just right for my parents.

Photos of Brookdale Sunwest

Features of Brookdale Sunwest

About Brookdale Sunwest

Amenities and Services
  • Daily assistance with bathing and dressing
  • Medication management
  • Dining assistance and special diets
  • Assistance with reminders and redirection
  • Escorts and assistance with walking
  • Emergency response call system
  • Laundry and linen service

*Rates subject to change at any time. Level of care not included.

Map of Brookdale Sunwest