Senior Helpers of the Peninsula

Overview of Ratings

4.9

January 03, 2013

By Paul4

Senior Helpers was referred to me by my friend who used their service before. In general, they are alright. I like the caregiver that comes out and work with me. She helps me around and that's what really important. She's really great and I am happy with their service.

December 31, 2012

By Phyllis5

I'm very pleased with their service. My husband needed Senior Helpers back then because I had fallen. I had to go to the hospital and there's no one to look after him. So my niece in New Orleans found out about this company that had just started in San Mateo which is Senior Helpers. They have very responsible people and they're doing their jobs well.My husband already passed away 4 years ago and I am using Senior Helpers now for myself. They look after me pretty good. I have no complaints with them. I am very happy with them. I recommend them to every opportunity I have. I sure don't have a reason to change provider because they're so good to me.

November 30, 2012

By Richard7

The people they get are very good. I had a little trouble with the first one but that was after awhile. I think she was having some personal problems so I had to change her but they responded very quickly when I told them. I'm currently using Senior Helpers and they come around 68 hours per week. Overall, it's a good experience and I will recommend them to anybody.

November 19, 2012

By Wendy4

I found them on the internet originally back when Kathleen owned it. It started out with just once a week care for 4 hours. It was just minimal care. My father was diagnosed with early Alzheimer's and he lived alone. He didn't drive and I needed someone to take him out to do the grocery shopping and to remind him about things. He was pretty resistant at first. We actually went through 2 or 3 different caregivers until he found someone with whom he just really clicked. So then he has falling in love with her and she's there 5 days a week now for 4 hours a day. It's just been a wonderful experience for him. She takes him to the senior center and plays bingo and goes along on some of the trips with seniors. She also takes him to the movies, shopping and out to eat. As the disease progressed she makes sure that his toenails are taking care of and his getting haircuts and wearing clean clothes. She reminds him of things such as taking his medication.

October 30, 2012

By Phyllis4

I have been completely satisfied with Senior Helpers of San Mateo. No complaints at all. I have used them for about 5 years after I had taken a fall and had to go to the hospital. My husband has dementia so I needed someone to take care of him while I was away. I have been completely happy with their services and would recommend them to anyone!

October 15, 2012

Senior Helpers of San Mateo were very accommodating, thoughtful and concerned right from the beginning. They take their time and do the necessary research to make sure that my mom is always matched with the right caregiver. If they have to make a change in the caregiver, they keep me informed. They follow up with me to make sure things are going smoothly. I am very comfortable with the situation. I would definitely recommend them!

September 19, 2012

By Linda B.

I would like to give praise and recommendation for Celia from Senior Helpers who is a caregiver for my Dad, Archie. Celia demonstrates excellent care and sincere concern for her patients. She provides a service that extends over an above that which is expected of her. She amazes us everyday with her positive attitude, willingness to do anything to help my parents and truly cares about them. It's not just a job for her, she treats them as her own parents. We talk everyday and brainstorm over issues that come up. She has made some valuable suggestions to guide and help me provide care for my parents when she is not there. Celia has exceeded our expectations and my parents and I are extremely grateful to have her.

From Senior Helpers of the Peninsula

Senior Helpers is a leader in professional, in-home senior assistance services. We have built a reputation for providing the best in dependable, consistent, and affordable non-medical senior care services. We have the people, resources, systems and knowledge necessary to make sure our clients get the help they need to enjoy living independently at home. Thanks to our responsiveness, dependability, and personal care, Senior Helpers of the Peninsula has become one of the most trusted and distinguished providers of in-home senior care services in the nation. Our mission is to ensure a better quality of life, both for our elderly clients and their families, by providing dependable and cost affective care at a moment's notice. We live by our core values and promote them in all activities involving our client's care.

• Responding at a moment's notice
  • Integrity without compromise
  • Celebrating an improved quality of life
  • Fostering a positive attitude

At Senior Helpers of the Peninsula we match caregivers to clients based on their specific personalities, experience and skill sets. Caregivers are hired for on their professionalism, enthusiasm and compassion for seniors. Each and every caregiver is:

• Hired and employed by Senior Helpers and never subcontracted
  • Bonded and insured
  • Thoroughly screened, evaluated and trained

This commitment to hiring quality caregivers is one more way we relieve your worry and stress.

Services

Once you have determined that your elderly loved one needs assistance, it is important to honor their wish to remain happy and independent in their own home. But for your own peace of mind, you need to know that they are completely safe and cared for in all situations. Even when you are close to a senior family member, it can be difficult to know their specific needs. And in some cases, they might be apprehensive to mention their more personal needs.

Home Care

The complimentary, initial in-home care interview with a Senior Helpers consultant can help you survey your options. Together you can discuss your loved one's needs and our services to determine what is best for your entire family. We will cover:

• Your family's specific goals
  • Your loved one's daily plan design and schedule
  • Pricing and payment methods
  • Implementation process
  • Ongoing communication and follow-up plan

Companion Care

Our companion care line of services offers daily companionship and assistance with daily living activities. If your loved one is living alone and your visits are limited, social interaction becomes very important to their happiness and helps prevent feelings of isolation and depression. Whether they need a little fun or maybe just help keeping house and running errands, we have you covered with home care activities such as:

• Caring companionship and conversation
  • Help with hobbies (scrapbooking, games, gardening, sports, news)
  • General shopping and errands
  • Transportation to appointments
  • Help with housekeeping (laundry and ironing, vacuuming and dusting, meal preparation, washing dishes, caring for pets and plants)

Personal Care

Our personal care line of services helps your loved ones with more intimate, non-medical care needs. Whether it is for normal aging challenges, hospital recovery or sickness, we are here to make everyday life easier and more manageable. Our experienced caregivers are specifically trained to handle these tasks and our care managers will be closely involved to conduct periodic assessments to survey your loved one's care.

• Personal hygiene assistance (bathing and toileting)
  • Medication reminders
  • Diet monitoring and meal planning
  • Walking assistance

Alzheimer's and Dementia Care

At Senior Helpers our professional, trained caregivers take a positive approach to Alzheimer's and dementia care - our unique senior Gems program. This method focusses on what those with dementia can do, instead of what they cannot do. We also work closely with dementia and registered occupational therapist, Teepa Snow (MS, OTR/L, FAOTA). Her Gems classification system (based on Cognitive Disability Theory) allows us to understand which stage of dementia the person is experiencing so we can put together the best plan and select the best caregiver for the individual.

With over 30 years of professional experience and having provided care for several family members with dementia, Teepa brings a strong clinical base and a unique perspective on how our brains control our bodies and behaviors. Caregivers who are trained using her approach and techniques can help change resistance and refusals into participation and successful interactions.

If your loved one is suffering from Alzheimer's or other forms of dementia, it can also take a tremendous toll on your own physical and emotional well-being. With the right care and support of our extensively trained caregivers, the Senior Gems program will make your loved one's life and yours much easier and more enjoyable. You don't have to do it alone!

About Steve L. Zimmerman

"I got involved with Senior Helpers with the goal of providing dependable and affordable care for the elderly and therefore making a difference in their day-to-day lives. I have been personally affected by the impact of Alzheimer's disease and Dementia. My mother-in-law was taken by Alzheimer's about three years ago. It took her about four years to succumb to the disease. I thought that journey was so significantly difficult and disruptive that if I could do something to ease that road for anyone else, that it could make a difference in the quality of their lives. I needed to step up to the plate. Acquiring Senior Helpers of the Peninsula was a small, but I hope, important way of giving something back. My family's struggles and battles during my mother-in-law's journey guided my decision. If I can make even a small difference, help even one person enjoy life a little more, I will have accomplished something special."

Prior to Senior Helpers Steve spent 25 years involved in a wide range of customer-service businesses. His experience in project and people management, negotiations, presentations, and financial modeling provided a strong foundation from which Steve built a business founded upon professionalism and second-to-none customer service. This approach carries over to each and every one of his clients at Senior Helpers.

Steve holds a BS in Finance from Colorado State University and an MBA from San Jose University. He lives in Los Altos, California with his wife and their two children.

Caregiver Information

Caregiver Skills Include:

Ethics, Patient Transfers, Grief Issues, Family Communication, Transition Issues, Communicating with Dementia Patients

Caregivers employed, bonded and insured: Yes
Languages: Spanish, English
Caregivers available 24 hours a day: Yes
Available to assisted living facility: Yes
RN on Staff: Yes