Sunrise of Granite Run

Overview of Ratings

3.9

April 25, 2015

By Kathy74133950

My mom is at Sunrise. We toured five facilities and found this one to be the best one. The place is beautiful. All the care managers get along. Everybody gets along -- the workers and all. My mom has been taken care of. She has only been there a month, but she is doing OK. It is a very nice place. Her room is shared with one person. She has a bed and a little table. She has a little refrigerator and a kitchen sink. The bathroom is shared by two. The food is very good. Everything is good. They have dining room tables with tablecloths, cloth napkins, and dinnerware. They exercise in the morning. In the afternoon, they find something to keep them active. In the evening, they usually have a sing-a-long. They have bingo and arts and crafts. It is really pretty well run. With regards to security and safety management, my mom is in the Reminiscence section, you have to be buzzed in and out the door. She can't get out. The building itself locks at 8:00, and you could go in if you have a code.

December 09, 2014

Sunrise was very nice. The rooms had all of the things you want. The staff was very good. We had lunch and hamburgers there, and that was fine. My husband also liked the coffee. The residents looked pretty upbeat, and nobody looked bored. They just looked pleasant.

April 28, 2014

By DOLPH

Bottom line, have a backup plan! My mom went to the dementia unit and 8 months later we got a letter telling us her behavior was too difficult for them to keep her! How can you run a dementia unit and not be able to care for a demented patient? I think they kicked her out because they let her fall over a dozen times and oversedated her so much that she drooled. Even the ER doctor at the local hospital called them to find out why they were letting her fall do much! The care staff tried but they got almost no support from the director Lynn. I took my mom out within a week of getting their termination letter and placed her in another facility. She is no longer sedated as they corrected her meds, she hasn't fallen once, and pleasant! I'm mad that Sunrise of Granite Run got $50,000 of my mom's money.

We're sorry to hear that you had a negative experience at our community. We take your comments very seriously and would like more information. Please contact us at information@sunriseseniorliving.com with further details. Thanks, the Sunrise Team

April 21, 2014

Sunrise was a very nice place. The people were also very nice. Staff was very helpful and accommodating. I was treated very well. They had quite a few activities, and I liked the accommodations. The rooms were nice, but they weren't for me because I am used to more space, as I had always lived in spacious surroundings.

April 02, 2014

By Cindi4

Sunrise was five to eight minutes from my house. It was excellent, but out of my price range. I did tour there, and the place was lovely. The head of nursing evaluated my mother, and he was excellent. The place is very clean.

March 31, 2014

By Pat81937950

I chose Sunrise for my mom because it's very welcoming. I like everybody's attitude. They are very friendly and very helpful. They are very accessible and easy to call. Dan, the head nurse in the wellness section, is very accessible. If you cannot reach them right then, they do call you back pretty quickly. The rooms are very nice. My mother is first in the regular section, where she has her own place, like a little studio apartment, for about a week and a half because we didn't realize that her dementia is as bad as it is, and she's trying to live. Now, she is in the reminiscent section, where the doors are locked. She is sharing a room, and she seems to enjoy it, and they do keep me aware of anything that is going on with my mother. I ate a couple of meals with her, and the food is good. She's on a heart-healthy diet, and actually she looks better than she has for a long time because of her diet. When she's eating on her own, she's not preparing the right meals. Now she never seems to be hungry, and she's not eating junk in between meals. They have activities, like they play bingo, do Bible study, and play memory games in which they try to remember something from the past. They go on outings to bookstores and shopping places. However, my mom is not a big socializer, so she is not taking part in any of the activities. It is a good experience all over, and I am very pleased with them.

March 27, 2014

I visited Sunrise of Granite Run for my father, but he died during the holidays. The facility is actually very, very nice. The people were personable there. The environment looked clean. I was able to check the rooms, and they seemed great. I was impressed with the schedule of activities that they had for the people there as well.

February 28, 2014

My father is in Sunrise and it seems more like a home. The staff is great. One thing that I am really impressed with is that their nurses and care staff seem to be on top of things. They listen and communicate with us. They sit with us and answer all our questions. They did everything we ask. The apartments are very nice. We have one with a key with two bedrooms. Each person has his own bedroom and they share a common area. It is a little small but it is not bad. The food is very good. They have common activities like bingo, cards, mind games, crossword puzzles and I think they bring in entertainment once a week. They have a bus that takes them out once a week and it also take them to casinos once a month. It is actually a pretty good place and I like it.

February 24, 2014

By Ctoanone

I was able to tour Sunrise of Granite Run and it seemed a very nice and quiet community. The place is absolutely very clean. I like this facility probably because it's a smaller and the rooms looked very comfortable. The staff seemed very pleasant so far.

February 12, 2014

By dsmit

I visited the facility a few years ago for a family friend but I was just there to look around. I looked for my mom this time. Some of the residents seemed happy and others were just sitting around asleep. The lounge with coffee seemed empty and not many snacks. She mentioned snacks but I just saw apples. There was not an activity going on but maybe because it was a weekend that I visited it wasn't as busy. The calendar looked full and I liked they had trips. I liked the look of the facility. The staff was friendly from what I could see. The young sales girl wasn't as professional as I would have anticipated. She was nice but referred to the people living there as cuties or honey. She referenced her grandmother when I was trying to talk about my mother. She had jeans on and a short top. She did say her sales director would follow up and she did the next day. The administrator followed up with me too. That was the first time a community had the administrator call me. They were very professional but I did not feel this was the right community for my mom. Other communities had a bit more going on and were a bit more professional. It may be because I came in on weekend. A lot of family visitors were coming and going which was nice to see. They have a little dog that sits in the foyer which was nice. Different room styles to choose from which other places did not have. Overall an OK experience.

Thank you for your feedback. We'd like to learn more about your experience so please email us at Information@sunriseseniorliving.com . Thank you, The Sunrise Team

January 18, 2014

Sunrise of Granite Run was very similar to the other facility that I went to. It just wasn't kept quite as clean and it could be kept up a little bit better. The information was good; however, the girl that presented it to me was not as professional as the first one.

December 27, 2013

Dad was at Sunrise of Granite Run for three days. And after three days, I just could not leave him there. They weren't taking care of him very well. When he went in, he could feed himself fine. After two days in there, he couldn't even hold his head up. He looked like he had been sedated. He was dirty when I went in. I don't think he had been bathed the whole time he was there. The supervision of the residents was kind of bad. The staff weren't monitoring the residents when they were eating. Other residents were coming up and picking food off the plate and throwing it on the table. Some would go in and out of dad's room taking his belongings, taking his snacks that I have bought for him. It was a really terrible experience.

We're very sorry to hear you did not have a great experience in our community. We'd like to learn more as we take these comments very seriously. Please contact us at Information@sunriseseniorliving.com –The Sunrise Team

November 20, 2013

We moved my aunt into a Sunrise facility. She's been there since the end of August. She has emphysema so for her to be walking quite a long distance from her room to the dining room is an issue. The thing with Sunrise is its smaller so it's easier to get from one place to another without walking from one side of the building to the other. It's a smaller community setting. She's not completely happy. She wants more space and she told me last night that they may have a bigger room available for her. She's on a special diet and there were some issues with getting her meals straightened out but I think that things worked itself out. Because she's on a special diet, they picked for her what she's going to eat and it may not necessarily be what she wants to eat. When she first moved in, she told me that they seemed to be short-staffed quite a bit in the kitchen and the dining room and it took them a very long time to get the meals served but she hasn't said that much recently about that. For the most part, she's found the staff to be okay.

September 23, 2013

By Valerie10

Sunrise is our choice for my aunt because of its services and availability. The facility is fine. She is in a shared room. But they each have a private bedroom, though they share a living room, a kitchenette and a bath. The people there are very friendly and accommodating. They are very attentive to her. As they know that it is traumatic for her moving in, so they try to cheer her up. However, the food services are the worse. The dining is disorganized. There's no problem with the quality of the food, just the services and the quantity. Like when they serve spare ribs, it is delicious, but they only give her one. When they serve chicken, they give her not the whole wing, but one wing. It is an ongoing problem. That upsets my aunt because she feels she is starving. It is disappointing because for me it is a no brainer. They also do not have transportation for doctor's appointment. But I like that it is a pet friendly place. They allow residents to have small dogs as long as they can take of them. It is also a small community so it is more homey.

January 21, 2012

By Blondie2

I am writing as a primary care taker for a relative that was in the dementia area of the facility. This assisted living facility is pretty good for the most part and I would recommend it. One positive is that the daily care staff are approachable and ready to answer any questions, for example I would asked weekly if my relative was eating her meals. The facility is bright and has nice outdoor space for the resident in good weather. Her visitors took her out onto the porch and patio to get fresh air and sunshine. The residents are generally well taken care of. To receive the best care for your relative, it is important to be a regular visitor so that the staff gets to know you. It is also critically important to stay involved with the visiting physicians to monitor the medication prescribed for your relative. The location was very good and convenient, which is a key factor in selecting a facility so that you can visit frequently and in case of an emergency.

April 06, 2009

By Debbies Girl

My loved one used this service

I quickly removed my parents from this home. This is a completely run down home. They have terrible service, uncaring care managers, urine odor throughout the building, and its just a total fire trap

Let Us Search For You

• Low Salt
    • Renal

• Spanish

About Sunrise of Granite Run

Located in Media at the intersection of Routes 352 and 452, Sunrise at Granite Run is nestled in the outskirts of Philadelphia near the county park and arboretum. We pride ourselves in our specialized neighborhood for the memory impaired, customized service plans and abundance of wonderful volunteers.

Step into a Sunrise Assisted Living community and you can?t help but feel at home. We stop at nothing to make your experience warm and inviting, from our homelike exterior architecture, to our comfortable community areas and choice of suites to our exceptional outdoor gardens and landscaping. Look around and you?ll notice fresh flowers throughout the residence, and you may even spot our dog or our cat. And of course, there are always the friendly smiling faces of our staff to ensure that each day spent here is a welcome one.

Map of Sunrise of Granite Run