Assisted Living in Van Wert
Vancrest of Van Wert10357 Van Wert Decatur Rd, Van Wert, OH
Hearth & Home at Van Wert1118 Westwood Drive, Van Wert, OH
We're there at every step
Caring.com has been supporting families since 2007. Our free family advisor service has helped numerous families in the Van Wert area find the assisted living community that is right for them. Learn about how our team of family advisors can help you and your family at no cost by calling (855) 763-5743.
Get the insights you need to find the right community.
- See more than 1 reviews of assisted living communities in the Van Wert area from residents and their loved ones.
- Browse our comprehensive directory of 2 assisted living communities in the Van Wert area for photos and information about amenities, costs and more.
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Van Wert
Van Wert is a small community in northwestern Ohio known for events such as the annual Apple and Peony festivals. Residents over 65 make up about 19 percent of the population and those looking for assistance with daily living have five facilities to choose from: two in town and another three close by.
The Ohio Department of Health enacts inspections and governs policies concerning these communities, referred to as residential care facilities, which offer assistance to seniors in a homelike setting.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Van Wert
- Outdoorsy seniors can enjoy Van Wert's warm summer high average of 84 degrees in July. Some seniors may dislike the cold average low temperature of 18 degrees in January.
- Seniors in Van Wert can experience old Ohio at the Clarks Mansion, a museum run by the Van Wert County Historical Society. Active seniors can enjoy their retirement in Van Wert by playing a few rounds at the local Hickory Sticks Golf Club.
- Violent crime in Van Wert is almost 40 percent lower than the national average, which helps seniors feel secure. However, property crime rates are more than 40 percent higher than the rest of the country, which means seniors may need to take extra precautions to secure their belongings.
- Van Wert has an array of community resources for seniors, including the Van Wert County Council on Aging, an organization that assists adults 60 and over in living their life in independence and dignity, as well as four senior centers.
- The Van Wert area is home to world-class medical facilities, including Van Wert County Hospital, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- The Van Wert area does not have a city bus system. While some assisted living facilities may offer shuttle services, seniors may have a hard time getting from place to place independently. Ohio does have the Ride GoBus service which assists individuals in travelling from city to city. Unfortunately, GoBus has limited accessibility for scooters and wheelchairs.
Paying for Assisted Living in Van Wert
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Ohio
Assisted Living costs in Van Wert start around $0 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Van Wert and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Van Wert
The Ohio state Medicaid Home and Community Based Services offers two waivers to eligible seniors who are seeking help for assisted living costs. One is a managed Medicaid program called the MyCare Ohio Plan (MCOP) for seniors dually eligible for Medicaid and Medicare, and the other is the Assisted Living Waiver. The Ohio Department of Mental Health also offers the Residential State Supplement (RSS) program to qualified seniors who are enrolled in Medicaid.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Ohio page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Ohio page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Van Wert
Van Wert and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Van Wert
Van Wert-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Ohio are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Ohio page for more information about these laws.