2 Assisted Living Facilities in Machias, ME
Also serving communities of Calais.
To help you with your search, browse the 1 review below for assisted living facilities in Machias. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Machias 3.0 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Machias, call (855) 863-8283.
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Machias
Machias, Maine, received its name, which means “bad little falls,” due to the small, rugged waterfall in the center of town that flows to the Machias River. This makes the historical town a nice place for seniors who enjoy natural scenery. Two assisted living communities are located in town. There are three types of these communities in Maine called Assisted Living Programs (ALPs), Independent Housing with Services Programs (IHSPs) or Private Non-medical institutions (PNMIs). They all provide personal care and housing regulated by the Maine Department of Health and Human Services.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Machias
- Machias is one of the coolest places in Maine with July reaching an average high temperature of only 74 degrees. This means summer months don’t become too humid. However, the town does see significant snowfall for six months of the year. The heavy snow can hinder seniors' mobility during an emergency.
- The cost of health care is high in Machias. This includes the cost of staying in a hospital as well as receiving general medical care. The average health care cost in Machias is higher than both state and national average. This could prevent seniors living in the area from affording medical needs.
- Machias has an array of community resources for seniors, including the Sunrise Senior College through the University of Maine at Machias, an organization that provides activities, classes, social interaction and knowledge for residents 50 years or older.
- Residents can take a bus through town to reach the bank, pharmacy, grocery store or doctor’s appointment with DCP transportation. The company offers low cost transportation throughout Machias. The buses are ADA accessible.
- The Machias area is home to world-class medical facilities, including the Down East Community Hospital located within the city.
- Retired residents receive a pension income deduction up to $10,000. This includes state and federal pension payments as well as retirement benefits from previous employers. Also, military retirement plans are entirely exempt from income tax.
Note: Data reported on this page was updated in 2019 and based on the latest 2018 figures.
Paying for Assisted Living in Machias
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Maine
Assisted Living costs in Machias start around $0 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Machias and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Machias
Several Maine assisted living facilities are state-funded. To become a resident, seniors must meet both functional and financial eligibility requirements. MaineCare, the state’s version of Medicaid, will help pay for many services while residing in an assisted living facility. Aid includes nursing, physician and hospital services.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Maine page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Maine page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Machias
Machias and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Machias, please visit our Assisted Living in Maine page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Machias
Machias-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Maine are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Maine page for more information about these laws.
Other Options in Machias, ME
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Machias
Review of Davis Estates
We had looked at Davis Estates, and he was on the waiting list. There’s only a choice of two here in the area. My father has a private room, but it’s all contained within one building. It’s just mo... Read more