Where can I get financial assistance for monthly expenses?

1 answer | Last updated: Dec 05, 2016
A fellow caregiver asked...

Where can I get financial assistance for monthly expenses we cannot meet?

Expert Answers

Barbara Steinberg is the CEO and founder of BLS Eldercare Financial Solutions, which specializes in helping families pay for long-term care for their loved ones. A registered financial gerontologist, she speaks regularly on the topic of paying for long-term care and is a financial expert for Caring.com.

Depending on where you and your parent live and your financial situation, there are federal and state programs that can help. The best place to start is with your county's Office of Senior Services. They can give you advice on how to find services that provide:

  • Income assistance (for example, Supplemental Security Income, or SSI)
  • Food stamps
  • Property tax relief
  • Utility and telephone assistance
  • Prescription assistance
  • Other miscellaneous financial assistance, like home repair

If your parent is a veteran, contact your county's Veterans Service Officer, who can provide you with information about health care and other benefits available to veterans. If your parent needs help reducing their debt, contact a nonprofit credit counseling service such as Consumer Credit Counseling Service (CCCS.) They offer free credit counseling and a nonprofit debt management program.