What can we do to allow adult children to see their mother?

1 answer | Last updated: Sep 14, 2017
Saleemah49 asked...

If the caregiver is the granddaughter, and she will not let the children see their mother, what should you do?

Expert Answers

Amy Shelf is an attorney specializing in estate planning and probate for individuals and families of all means.

If you are one of the children, start by contacting the adult protective services agency in your area. You should be able to find the agency in your mother’s area by doing an internet search for “adult protective services” and her city and state.

Isolating an elder increases the possibility and ease of abuse, and elder abuse should be stopped before it happens.

If the granddaughter-caregiver is a court appointed conservator, it may be that the court that has jurisdiction over the conservatorship is the proper place for the children to assert their rights to see their mother.

If the granddaughter-caregiver is not a court appointed conservator, the children should consider going to court to get appointment as conservator and therefore have the legal right to make decisions about the mother’s care.