What can be done to someone who has abused his power as legal guardian of my grandmother?

1 answer | Last updated: Sep 14, 2017
Milina asked...

My grandmother passed for more than a month and her legal guardian has not buriered her yet because he is waiting on me to sign over her anuity that was left in my name.

Expert Answers

Barbara Repa, a Caring.com senior editor, is an attorney, a journalist specializing in aging issues, and the author of Your Rights in the Workplace (Nolo), now in its 10th edition.

Something about this doesn't seem right. It sounds as if you need more facts"”and possibly, someone from the outside to step in from the outside and make sure that the right thing gets done.

First the facts: Find out where you grandmother's body is being held. It would be most unusual for a funeral establishment or city or county authority to hold a body for as long as a month. So be sure you know that you have the true word from the guardian. Contact the place the guardian claims is holding your grandmother's remains-and ask for that version of the story.

If you don't come up with an easy answer to your issue, then contact the Funeral Consumers Alliance for help at http://www.funerals.org. Representatives there should b able to help you sort out the legal and actual rights in you situation.

Another route, although it may take some time and energy, is to contact the local court that is supervising your grandmother's legal guardian. If you're not sure where that is, begin with the superior or probate court nearest to where your grandmother lived at death. Authorities there should be able to tell you whether the burial debt has been paid"”or whether you have any duty to help pay your grandmother's final bills.