What are the best solutions for remote health monitoring of my parent?

Krj asked...

I am not really clear about what you mean by "remote health monitoring", so I will try to answer your question the best that I can.

If you meant how are you supposed to monitor your parent's health from a far distance, I would suggest downloading the National Institute on Aging's (NIA) Guide called "So Far Away". It is a very informative 46 page guide on how to do long distance caregiving effectively. All NIA resources can be ordered online at www.nia.nih.gov/HealthInformation or by calling 1-800-222-2225. They have other guides available for free, so check out their website for more information.

If you meant if there is a way to monitor your parent's health using "remote healthcare", I can tell you that this is a rapidly growing field in the health care industry, but it is still in its infancy. Remote healthcare is defined as health and medical services can be delivered through electronic technologies that connect home-bound and other patients to off-site providers. For instance, there is a health care company right now that is developing a remote monitoring system which uses audio and video equipment to enable nurses and physicians working off-site to monitor patients closely. Through this technology, the nurses and doctors can check vital signs, communicate with patients, and review labs and diagnostic images. I do think that this will become more widely available in the near future, especially with the advances in smartphone apps and tablet based computers.