How can I get mom to stop chain smoking?

Darlene'smom asked...

My mom is now chain smoking and it is becoming dangerous she has sat and fell asleep with a cigarette in her hand a few times now and I can't get von to come because she wont stop smoking and she is past the stag of reasoning , any suggestions ? Also waking up from 3 am on makes for a long day

Bonnie Bajorek Daneker is author and creator of the The Compassionate Caregiver's Series, which includes "The Compassionate Caregiver's Guide to Caring for Someone with Cancer," "The Journey of Grief," "Handbook on Hospice and Palliative Care," and other titles on cancer diagnosis and end of life. She speaks regularly at cancer research and support functions, including PANCAN and Cancer Survivor's Network. She is a former member of the Executive Committee of the CSN at St. Joseph's Hospital of Atlanta and the Georgia Chapter of the Lymphoma Research Foundation.

Hi Darlene, The desire to stop chain smoking is a common problem with not many good answers, unfortunately. While there are a variety of smoking cessation programs and products, the smoker has to want to quit for them to be successful. The gums on the market may be your best option: many are flavorful, and when she wants to chew them, she'll be more more likely to do that instead of smoke. Nicorette has a relatively new product out called Fruit Chill that has a higher amount (double)of medicine to help stop cravings. You may also ask her to try hypnosis, which is often be available at Wellness Centers or at Cancer Survivor Groups, and can help with other issues as well. This is very difficult and can be dangerous, as you say. Keep a fire extinguisher handy, just in case. I hope you can rest a little easier. Good luck with this.

Tornado answered...

What about substituting an electronic cigarette? I just switched to these myself to try to quit smoking and they are amazingly real-like!

Darlene'smom answered...

Thanks I'll try that electronic cigarette I hope it works not only is she falling asleep while smoking but I can't get any respite services for her and I soon have to get out of this house ... Love my mom , Also what would you do if your loved one forgets who you are ? Mom only really forgets me and this happened jan 3 when she had been living with me for awhile , mom and I got along great and almost better than the rest of my family , thank god we are all really close but my family isn't in the position to help much . I guess what I'm asking is when she keeps wondering where I am and how come I dont visit it bothers her, my sister tried to tell her who I was and she got really upset so I told her to stop doing that but I don't know should I try and explain to her about her memory and who I am ? I know not to argue but I also hate her looking for me , Any sugestions ?