Why am I not eligible for veteran's benefits after the death of my husband?

Lilliangarrett asked...

my Husband just passed away june 13th he go t V.A check ever month i got a one time check now i have to fill out a form and mail it back . to see if im eligible i was on his V.A check all the time why wouldnt i be elegable ?

Barbara Steinberg is the CEO and founder of BLS Eldercare Financial Solutions, which specializes in helping families pay for long-term care for their loved ones. A registered financial gerontologist, she speaks regularly on the topic of paying for long-term care and is a financial expert for Caring.com.

Your husband was receiving one of two benefits. One is compensation for a disability he suffered as a direct result of his military service. In this case,it ceases at his death. The other benefit is a pension benefit for non-service connected reasons. Eligibility for this benefit is based on income which is offset by unreimbursed medical expenses, mostly for long term care. If your husband had home care, was in an assisted living facility or a nursing home, these expenses could have qualified him for the pension benefit. He would have received additional money because he had a spouse.

As the widow of a veteran, you may be eligible for a widow's pension, which is probably the application form the VA sent to you. If you are independent and healthy, you will probably not qualify for the benefit at this time (unless your income is below $661/month). If you have expenses for home care,assisted living or nursing home care, you may be eligible.

Cjmarley answered...

You don't mention your age or if you have children in the home. You also don't say what his check was for. In my situation my husband was considered 100% disabled (this was determined posthumously as he never got to complete his claim before he passed). As a result I get what is called a DIC payment (Dependents Indemnity Compensation) and will get this payment for the rest of my life (provided I don't marry again before the age of 56). There is a base amount that I will always get and there are additional amounts added to it for the children I have in my home.