Are there organizations that can help with the costs of dealing with personal property after a loved one passes?

1 answer | Last updated: Oct 15, 2016
A fellow caregiver asked...

My father is 90 and I have to prepare for when he might pass away. He is living in an apartment building for seniors. When he passes I will be responsible for moving everything out of his apartment to store at my place as I have no money for storage or moving costs at this time. I was recently discharged from bankruptcy and so was my father. Are there any volunteer organizations or places that help financially with this sort of thing? I have no friends or relatives who could help. Thank you. I live in Harrisburg, PA

Expert Answers

Nan Hayes is founder of, the national resource network of Certified Relocation and Transition Specialists for seniors, and President of RightSized Living, a senior home transition service in Illinois.

Many individuals struggle with moving their parents' belongings after death. Currently, there is no federal program designed to support this, however, you may have some luck on a local level. County social agencies have a variety of programs for seniors that may fit the bill. Check the front of your yellow pages for a list of your local agencies or log onto In your area, you may also contact the Dauphin County Area Agency on Aging. Your state may also have Home and Community Based Services (HCBS) supported by waiver programs. The waiver programs permit states to use Medicaid funds for services, usually these funds are directed at home care services, but there may be exceptions or related funds available. Contact the Pennsylvania department of Aging.