Where can I get help paying for my husband's radiation treatments?

A fellow caregiver asked...

Just wanted to know if there was anyway to get help paying the co-payment for the radation treatments for my husband. He had treatments last fall for a rare cancer (merkel cell skin cancer) and the cancer has returned and more treatments are needed.

Expert Answer

Barbara Steinberg is the CEO and founder of BLS Eldercare Financial Solutions, which specializes in helping families pay for long-term care for their loved ones. A registered financial gerontologist, she speaks regularly on the topic of paying for long-term care and is a financial expert for Caring.com.

To find out if there is help available for your husband's radiation treatments, you should start with the facility where he is being treated. Ask if they have a financial hardship or charity care program. If there is a non-profit organization that specializes in Merkel cell skin cancer, contact them to find out if there are resources available to assist with paying for care. Most copay assistance programs focus on drugs, not other types of treatment. Depending on your financial status, your husband may qualify for Medicaid. If he is on Medicare and qualifies financially, Medicaid may be able to help. You should also contact your county board of social services and your state representative to find out about any programs in your area.