How do I get financial assistance for my friend with no income?

1 answer | Last updated: Sep 25, 2016
A fellow caregiver asked...

I Have been caring for a friend for 4 years! HE HAS NO INCOME OR INSURANCE. He has seizure's is diabetic and manic depressive. also been classed as bipolar. This is just of his medical problems. He has been in hospital part of the time also a nursing home. When they release him he has no place to live. medicaid stops . they say @ Dcf that I make to much monthly to be eligable for help. I need help for him as food was reduced from 200.00 mthly. to 34.00 mthly. I have lost my home cashed and sold anything of value I had rented apt. and noone will speak @ dept. of dcf. the have set a review 05/2012 I am on SSDI and receiving a small pension. never ever had to deal with welfare. Have wery poor eyesight, my health is not great anymore.Is anyone out there that can help. His family do not live in fl. they said turn him over to the state. I don't know what that means.

Expert Answers

Barbara Steinberg is the CEO and founder of BLS Eldercare Financial Solutions, which specializes in helping families pay for long-term care for their loved ones. A registered financial gerontologist, she speaks regularly on the topic of paying for long-term care and is a financial expert for

Your friend may be eligible for federal benefits as well as state or county programs. Has he applied for SSD, Social Security Disability, or SSI, Supplemental Security Income? He may be eligible for one or both. You should contact your County Board of Social Services to learn about the programs that are available and to get help with the applications.