What can I do to ease the right hand "clutching" I'm experiencing after my stroke?

1 answer | Last updated: Sep 14, 2017
Rknaslund.com asked...

I had a hemorage stroke 11 years ago that affected my right side. my right hand "cluches" after exertion. what can i do to ease this contraction?

Expert Answers

James Castle, M.D. is a neurologist at NorthShore University HealthSystem (affiliated with The University of Chicago) and an expert on strokes.

Having a tendency to flex the muscles of the hand is very common after a stroke. I would recommend starting by setting up an appointment with a Physiatrist (Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation) doctor. Often, they can do muscle relaxing injections, such as Botox, into those muscles to relieve the strong clenching of the hand. I've also seen therapists use range of motion exercises be used to get the fingers to loosen up.

If you are more interested in alternative medical therapies, a massage therapist would likely be of help. Accupuncture may also relieve some of the symptoms.

As a last resort, medications for muscle relaxation can be used. Baclofen, Valium, and Xanaflex are the most commonly used. They tend to have side effects, however, such as sedation, and are therefore reserved as a last resort for people who have severe discomfort from their muscles and have failed other therapies.

Good luck!