How can I make it easier to my husband to take pills that cannot be crushed?

Cmtanet asked...

i crushed my husband's Klor-Clon M20 tablets yesterday, (two of them) in applesause so he could swallow them without choking and then learned I shouldn't do that! Have I done any harm and is there something I should do about it? Is there another way to help him swallow them?

Klor-Clon is a long acting potassium pill. By crushing it, the potassium gets quickly absorbed into the body, which can increase the potassium level in the bloodstream too much. Crushing the pill can also increase the risk of side effects from the medication, especially stomach upset.

If your husband cannot swallow the whole pill, you should ask your health care provider to order potassium in a liquid form instead, which you can mix with orange juice to hide the taste.

Cmtanet answered...

His Dr. said I could dissolvee them in water for two minutes, and I am assuming I should do one at a time.