How can I get financial help for my father who has no medical insurance?

1 answer | Last updated: Sep 14, 2017
Nancy3 asked...

My dad has been diagnosed with lymphoma and he has no medical insurance. He is 53 and i signed him up for ssi but  he is not eligible for the ss suplement because of  the  $1200 he has in the bank and the 3 vehicles in his name. Is there any suggestions on how to get help with his medical bills?

Expert Answers

If he is that close to qualifying for SSI, he can almost surely qualify for Medicaid coverage of his medical bills.Depending on the Medicaid rules in the state where he lives -- they're slightly different from one state to another -- if he has large medical bills he may qualify for Medicaid even if his assets are slightly over the state's eligibility limit. Or, the state's Medicaid program might require him to sell two of his three cars and use that money to pay part of his bills, after which he will qualify for Medicaid coverage. Once he becomes eligible for Medicaid, the program will pay almost all his medical bills, except for small copayments, for hospitalization, doctors, clinical and laboratory treatment, as well as some home care if he needs it.To find out what the rules are in the state where your father lives, and to learn where and how to apply, go online to any search engine and enter the word Medicaid and the name of the state. Or, you can call the Eldercare Locator toll-free at 800-677-1116 and ask them for contact information for Medicaid in your father's state.