What's the best way to remove my mother's dog?

Olderadultcareco asked...

My mom with Alzheimer's has been advised by her retirement community that her dog's incontience is a problem. The dog must be removed. What's the best way to remove the dog?

If your mother becomes incontinent, will the community advise you that she must be removed?

Incontinence in an animal may signal a curable condition or a correctable behavioral problem; I suggest that your mother's canine companion be taken to a veterinarian who will be able to advise. Correction might involve something as simple as walking the dog more frequently. If it turns out to be an incurable incontinence due to aging or a neurological condition, diapers or a dog litterbox are options; see handicappedpets.com. Check with animal rescue organizations in your area; it is likely that at least one will have volunteers who work with elders and the disabled to help them keep their animal companions. Volunteer assistance with additional walks, diaper management, dog litterbox, etc., might be an option. The human-animal bond, especially between an elder and a longtime pet, is valuable enough to your mother's health to invest some effort in making it possible for your mother to continue to keep her companion. Leaky people aren't peremptorily discarded; leaky critters shouldn't be, either.

Dogfishcat answered...

There is medicine for incontinet dogs if its just old age. it helps but sometimes there are accidents. My suggestion is tile floors and throw rugs. If the dogs pee on the throw rugs it is a quick trip to the coin laundry. My brother was ill and had an incontinent dalmation. I got him a stack of throw rugs and made two trips a week to his house to exchange out the soiled throw rugs for the freshly laundered throw rugs. It was a labor of love to do this for him and the dog that he loved so much. I did this for a year and brought my kids at times to help. It taught them the responsibility of taking care of people and pets even when they were not perfect and needing assistance. He would leave the soiled ones outside in a plastic garbage bag and I would pick them up when I was in the area. If gave him extra time with the dog to emotionally prepare for his ultimate demise but it also kept his house clean without burdening him with having to launder the rugs himself.