Can a LTC facility kick out my Dad if they don't get along with family?

5 answers | Last updated: Sep 12, 2016
A fellow caregiver asked...

My father is in a skilled care facility, and the staff doesn't get along with certain family members. When they take 25+ mins to take my Dad to the rest room and they leave him in wet clothes. When I visit my Dad I always address any issues concerning his care. I was told I am not aloud to visit him, unless supervised by my brother whom lives 800 miles away. The facility stated they will kick him out. They don't do their jobs. An aid will lie and head administration swears to it. PLEASE HELP

Expert Answers

As Founder and Director of Circles of Care, Ann Cason provides caregiving, consulting, and training services to individuals and public and private organizations involved in eldercare. She is the author of Circles of Care: How to Set Up Quality Home Care for Our Elders.

I am sorry to hear of your trouble; it can be very painful working emotions when a parent in long term care. I think a LTC facility can kick your father out, but it should not have to come to that. If you have questions about the quality of his care, you should talk to your local ombudsman. The Ombudsman's job is to listen to complaints and investigate, perhaps work out any difficulties. If the management is not telling the truth, they will be able to figure that out.

If that approach does not help, I suggest you get a Geriatric Care Manager to help you. The care manager will be able to work with the staff of the skilled nursing facility as well as give you some suggestions about how to approach nursing home staff. And the care manager may be able to help you work out some of the painful issues you are experiencing. When a parent suffers, it is so hard. I hope you will find some resolution and peace.

Community Answers

Nan hayes answered...

Unfortunately it seems you have a difficult situation on your hands and we do hope you find peaceful resolution, for your own sake as well as your father's. If at this stage there has only been minor misunderstanding between parties, it would be best to work things out peacefully with the facility rather than to disturb or agitate your father with a move to another location. Sending a letter that outlines your concerns to the Executive Director may be a helpful first step. As far as other resources, the answer already posted here is correct, your state's Department on Aging will have a series of contacts which may be used to file complaints or express your concerns. An ombudsman[] will investigate the complaints on both sides and may be able to provide you with additional guidance and options.

Donna quinn robbins answered...

In California there is a list of resident's rights posted on the wall by the office in every LTC. I don't think they have the right to kick him out unless he is the one causing the problems and they are not equipped to handle it. We have the Department of Social Services and the Ombudsmen who are watch dogs for the industry. You should contact them in your state. I think you will get some good support. Hope it works. Donna Robbins

Caringdenise answered...

Hi, I'm sorry to hear about the situation you described. In addition to the expert guidance you received, here are some resources on that may also be helpful...

Please also consider posting a review of the long-term care community to help other families in their search:[]

Thank you!

Ca-claire answered...

Is your brother that is 800 miles away the person with Durable Healthcare Power of Attorney? Has it been activated? Or does the brother 800 miles away only have the financial POA to act on your father's behalf?

I hope that you are able to get some improved care for your father, as the problems with toiletting can lead to other more serious problems.

Wish you the best!